|Illinois hires Cubit as offensive coordinator|
|Written by Admin|
|Monday, 14 January 2013 11:48|
Illini coach Tim Beckman said Monday that Cubit been hired and praised him for having an ``outstanding football mind.''
Cubit takes over for Chris Beatty and Billy Gonzales, who shared the offensive coordinator duties last fall. Beatty was fired earlier this month after the 2-10 Illini finished last in the Big Ten in points and yards per game.
Beckman said Gonzales will stay on as wide receivers coach.
Cubit was fired after the 2012 season at Western Michigan after going 4-8. The 59-year-old Cubit was 51-47 in eight seasons at Western Michigan. He previously worked as offensive coordinator at Stanford, Rutgers and Missouri.